Tactical Buyers (2)
National Grid seeks 2 professional Tactical Buyers in the Shared Services Procure to Pay Organization. The position is responsible for sourcing related to several key departments for gas construction, electric construction, facilities management, fleet, engineering services or corporate services, managing multiple bid negotiations in order to maintain strong working relationships with key suppliers and ensuring organizational cost savings so that National Grid’s performance objectives are met.
Position Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Develops and applies selection criteria and evaluation methodologies to match suppliers with requirements while developing a sustainable supplier portfolio.
- Responsible for leading tactical sourcing initiatives, providing technical guidance, support and coaching to other team members in order to share knowledge and develop technical understanding within discipline.
- Be the key interface with suppliers, managing the day to day relationship with contract service providers, including negotiation, interpretation and application of contractual agreements to ensure adherence to standards and best outcomes for National Grid.
- Research and profile sub category characteristics, supply markets and suppliers in order to enable analysis of key themes and trends to assess organizational risk.
- Monitor and review work undertaken by project team in order to ensure appropriate use of tools and resources.
- Work in partnership with regional/global customers to ensure a proactive approach to supplier selection and understand their requirements and deliver appropriate solutions, in line with National Grid policies and processes.
- Identify and mitigate commercial risks to ensure National Grid complies with global legislative requirements and identifies value adding opportunities to the supply relationships.
- Supports the implementation of procurement change initiatives by challenging existing ways of working and continuously seeking ways to do things better to drive greater efficiencies.
- Provide technical guidance, support and coaching to other team members in order to share knowledge and develop technical understanding within discipline.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with key internal business partners to share best practice and understand and challenge business decisions.
- Conduct item/description research to increase catalog compliance and reduce the vendor database.
Knowledge & Experience Required:
- 3+ years of experience as a Procurement Buyer or Supply Chain Management required.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred in Business, Accounting, Supply Chain or related field.
- Proficient in stakeholder management and communications, making self fully available for the customer/supplier. Demonstrates an energetic and enthusiastic manner and the ability to add value.
- Highly effective in the management of suppliers with strong knowledge of tactical sourcing process.
- Demonstrates expertise in negotiating and influencing.
- Understands the importance of procedures and standards of working and demonstrates the ability to give directions or demonstrations with clear reasons and rationales.
- Requires the ability to think from first principles and demonstrates ability to challenge processes and use knowledge or trends to look at current situations.
- Experience with ERP systems -- SAP experience preferred, with particular attention to Contracts and Procure to Pay.
- Proficiency in MS Office products, including by not limited to Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Able to work across all functions and levels of an organization.
- Familiarity with Procurement processes, e.g. mini tender, negotiation, contracting, etc.
- Prior experience in sourcing the following categories will be an advantage; Professional Services, Materials, Engineering Services, Construction Projects, Fleet, Facilities, Energy Efficiency, Travel and Office Supplies.
- Experience using analytical tools and techniques, strong presentation skills and the ability to interpret information and analyze relationships among several parts of a problem or situation in order to clearly articulate the findings and anticipates obstacles and thinks ahead about next steps are desirable skills.
- Must have the ability to work overtime, weekends and/or holidays as necessary.
- Must be able to travel overnight outside of the normal work area as needed.
This position is one of National Grid’s career path roles which provide for promotional opportunities within and across salary bands as you develop and evolve in the position by gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills.
Please apply online:
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.